Monday 19 May 2008

The Great Rip-Offs

Or: Don't People Have Original Ideas Anymore?


Yes, I'm making two posts in one day. It's my blog and I'll post when I want to, so ner!
Anyway, it seems ripping of other people is quickly becoming the thing to do recently, so instead of jumping on the bandwagon with a copied Scaryduck post and a determined look in my eye, I'm taking a look at some of the most audacious examples.

First things first, The Sun. Presumably in an effort to fill pages, they've made another "Look at what people on the internet have done! LOL!" article by taking a b3ta challenge and posting it as news. The Article Itself says:

Now cheeky internet users have imagined what the bigger picture might look like.

They have taken famous LP and CD sleeves and gone outside the frame to reveal what could be happening there.

See any mention of b3ta there? Thought not. The original challenge is Here (Dated December 2007, so it's not even recent).

Next up on this cavalcade of mimicry is an advert for Barocca that has been doing the rounds recently. I'd post a link to a video of it, but since I can't find it, here's OK Go with Here It Goes Again:




The reason I posted that is because the advert is pretty much the same. A group of people dancing on treadmills, the only difference here is that it's outside. Woop. The worst thing is that the advert was probably more expensive, had more people behind it and more time - and it's still worse than four people and a camcorder. Rather than dwell on this puzzling state of affairs, lets move on to the last culprit.

I have some advice for people who listen to Crystal Castles. Don't. It seems they make a living of lifting chiptune songs and passing them off as their own. They've even done it with artwork. You can get the details at the MySpace page Crystal Castles are a bunch of lame thieves. Meanwhile, go listen to 64revolt. They do what CC do without having to rip people off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this wasn't your intention but I have listened to this band Crystal Castles and I think it's great. Thank you for the tip.

The controversial songs with samples are awful, who cares that they have stolen elements. No one is listening to those tracks, they are not on the band's myspace page.

Bisyss said...

May I ask why? Even if the plagiarism doesn't bother you, Crystal Castles aren't that good a band. There are masses of chiptune artists who do what CC do and do it better. The only thing CC seem to do well is appeal to the kind of people who get all their music recommendations from NME and think listening to Pendulum is being "open-minded".